Last year, BioWare announced that the Mass Effect series will continue in with Mass Effect: Andromeda. While not a lot of information has been circulated about the new game, there are a few things that are clear. Mass Effect: Andromeda will be placed in an all-new galaxy with all-new characters.
If you have played any BioWare games, you are aware that there are a lot of crossover characters within a series. It does not matter if you are playing the Dragon Age or Mass Effect series, or even a deep cut like Knights of the Old Republic, old characters show up in the new games in many ways. They could just be a small part in a quest, a large part in a storyline, or even a member of your squad. In Mass Effect 3, almost your entire squad was from the first Mass Effect.
With this in mind, Mass Effect: Andromeda has been said to be placed far away and long after events of the Mass Effect trilogy.
Does this mean that there won’t be any of our favorite characters we have followed through the trilogy? Maybe.
Let’s look at this realistically. The average lifespan for the characters is the biggest problem. If they could not realistically survive that long, then the probability of the character showing up is greatly lowered.
Lets look at the lifespans:
Turians, Humans, and Quarians have similar lifespans. Turians are able to live the longest, while the heightened possibility of sickness in Quarians makes their lifespans the shortest.
Krogan and Asari can live to be over 1,000. (Of course, that is not accounting for certain pureblood Krogan that may live longer. I really want an old Grunt to show up and still be killing Thresher Maws in his off time.)
Salarians rarely reach 40.
AIso, Geth and Prothean have an unknown lifespan. (At least to us. No information about it shows up in the codex during gameplay.) It is safe to say that artificial intelligence probably do not die.
With these sad facts, this leaves only a few possible characters to realistically be in Mass Effect: Andromeda.
- Grunt: Everyone’s favorite awe-worthy, pureblood Krogan. We see his birth in Mass Effect 2. He’s got at least another 1000 years on him.
- Liara T’Soni: She is very young when the Mass Effect trilogy starts, and therefore may be around for at least 900 years if she lives a long life.
- EDI: Being artificial intelligence, there is no reason that she could not live for a very long time. Plus, she should not be able to die even if her new body from the third game is damaged.
- Javik: Who knows what the Prothean will be up to at the end of the game? Might go back to sleep for another couple centuries.
- Legion: Like EDI, Geth are artificial intelligence and therefore it is possible that he be alive. This is, of course, if he survived your playthrough.
There you have it. The realistic list of characters we could see if Mass Effect: Andromeda takes place within a millennium.
Who would you like to see in the game, realistically or not? Let me know in the comments!
Originally Published Jan. 21st 2016