This month is filled with a wide range of titles for your PlayStation Vita, ranging from big-name releases such as Assassin’s Creed: Chronicles, Stranger of Sword City and Trillion: God of Destruction to Indie gems such as Axiom Verge, Lumo and Risk of Rain – so certainly a month that has something for everyone!
Now we all know that some games can appear out of the blue and release on our favourite handheld with only a few days notice, but here are the key titles that we can expect this month;
Trillion: God of Destruction
Release Date – April 1st EU
A story about a hero named Zeabolos who gains the power of the Soul Grimoire and decides to fight against the demon god of destruction Trillion, Trillion: God of Destruction is releasing in the West with dual (Japanese & English) audio, English subtitles, PlayStation TV support, and a physical version!
Here are some of the key features in the game;
- A TRILLION HP! This big bad boss has 1,000,000,000,000 HP! How you defeat him is up to your individual strategy and training!
- 6 Deadly Sins to Love! In between battles, you’ll get some quality alone time with each of your six Overlord Candidates leading your army. Can you have a love story even in war?
- Prepare for Battle! While Trillion sleeps, it’s training time! Hit the training grounds and discover randomly-generated treasure chests or strengthen weapons at the Blacksmith’s!
- Replay, Replay, Replay! Stats carry over with each New Game+ plus and there are multiple endings to unlock! With over 10 endings, there’s even more reason to stand up and keep fighting!
Green Game: TimeSwapper
Release Date – April 5th NA & EU
The sequel to Red Game without a Great Name (check out Kerry’s review of this title here), Green Game: TimeSwapper is similarly set in a steampunk world but this time around you are the master of time. You will use this power to manipulate time (ranging from past, present and future) in order to help the mechanical bird fulfill its mission.
Green Game: TimeSwapper features;
- 50 levels full of danger
- Influence the environment by manipulating the time
- Power-ups like immortality and slow flight
- 150 collectable gears
- Soul & Jazz Soundtrack
- Green dominated graphic style
Release Date – April 5th EU
Shutshimi! gives you control of The Fishy, a goldfish defending his home waters against mysterious invaders. Levels last around ten seconds, which is when you get to choose a power for the next round. You get to make your selection from three choices, which are drawn randomly from a pool of 50; so some are bound to be bad while others are quite good. The protagonist has bad memory though and he’ll forget them as quickly as he learned them.
Zach reviewed Shutshimi when it released in North America last year, so if you’re interested, have a read of his views on the game here!
A Virus Named Tom
Release Date – April 5th NA & EU
A perfect place. A city without traffic. A dog that doesn’t poop. All products of the brilliant mind of Dr. X, but hell hath no fury like a mad scientist fired by a giant corporation. In this unique action-puzzler you take control of TOM, a virus created for one purpose: revenge.
Assassin’s Creed Chronicles
Release Date – April 5th NA & EU
Spilt into three games based in China, India and Russia when originally released on the PlayStation 4 and Xbox One, these three 2.5D spin-off titles will be bundled together on the PlayStation Vita when the Asssasin’s Creed: Chronicles Trilogy Pack releases this month.
Assassin’s Creed Chronicles: China released on home consoles last year to mostly critical acclaim and saw players control an Assassin throughout China’s Ming Dynasty. Assassin’s Creed Chronicles: India is set in the year 1841 as players take the role of Arbaaz Mir as he tries to retain a mysterious Assassin item that was stolen by the Templars.
Lastly Assassin’s Creed Chronicles: Russia is centered around Nikolai Orelov, a man who is trying to leave the Assassin’s order to live a quiet life with his family. Before he is able to do that, the brotherhood assigns him a final mission to steal an ancient artifact – which also sees him become a temporary bodyguard for a princess.
Risk of Rain
Release Date – April 12th NA & EU
Risk of Rain puts players in the boots of a lone-survivor of a spaceship freighter. Being stranded on an unknown planet, it is up to you to adventure through randomly selected levels that are adorned with objects that are procedurally generated. Every moment is a struggle to survive, as you must fend of monsters and search for various items.
The Vita – and PS4 – version will feature automatic matchmaking, something previously not found in the PC version. More surprising, Risk of Rain will feature cross-platform play between PS4 and Vita, allowing friends across systems to lobby up and play the game together.
Release Date – April 19th NA / TBC EU
Axiom Verge is a retro-styled 2D “Metroidvania” action-adventure, inspired by such classics as Rygar, Contra, Bionic Commando, Blaster Master, and, of course, Metroid. But it also gives you power over glitches like those found in classic games, allowing you to scramble enemies, corrupt environments, and enter hidden areas.
- Expansive Non-linear Exploration of 9 labyrinthine, interlocking areas.
- Gobs of unique tools and abilities, loads of weapons, and tons of health/power/attribute upgrades.
- Combat with dozens of unique creatures and bosses.
- Glitches allowing you to break past the boundaries of normal gameplay.
- Speedrun Mode – Play with a streamlined interface and additional features to facilitate speedrunning.
Axiom Verge is a cross-buy title, so if you already own it on the PS4 you will receive the Vita version for free when the game comes out. If you haven’t yet bought Axiom Verge, there will be a 10% discount available during its launch week!
Aegis of Earth: Protonovus Assault
Release Date – April 22nd EU
Aegis of Earth: Protonovus Assault puts you in command of the last hope for humanity, giving you some fantastic technology and pitting you against aliens in an all-out “action extravaganza.” Dig in, develop a plan, build up your defenses, and take on hordes of giant enemies which attack your fortified city in an attempt to wipe out the last of us.
Here are the key features from the game’s press release;
- Defense is the Strongest Offense; Engage in dynamic city defense via revolutionary gameplay mechanics in which you rotate your entire city to aim weapons and take out monsters! Leave no quadrant untouched as you spin 360 degrees in search of would-be destroyers!
- Immersive Commander Experience; Command and level up a huge variety of units and gargantuan weapons as you hone your tactical skills. Immersive gameplay puts you in the center of intense combat. Seize the initiative from your enemies and decimate their ranks as a robust cast of characters lend their support to the cause!
- Massive Content Keeps You in the Fight!; An intense 20+ hour campaign ensures you’ll have your hands full as you battle through 23 epic missions! Fend off 15 species of relentless enemies that will not stop until your city is reduced to rubble!
Release Date – April 22nd NA & EU
Lumo is an isometric, arcade adventure game, of the same ilk as revered 8 Bit classics: Head Over Heels, Knightlore, Alien 8, Chimera and Solstice. You play the part of a young wizard, lost in the depths of a mysterious castle that’s part museum, part death-trap. Explore more than 150 rooms, solve physical puzzles, bring ancient machinery to life, collect runes & spells and uncover hidden areas as you work your way safely outside.
Being lost isn’t scary… it’s an adventure!
Stranger of Sword City
Release Date – April 26th NA / April 29th EU
This Dungeon RPG, which is developed by Demon Gaze developers Experience, is said to have more of a western feel to it with themes of dark fantasy and online Leaderboards.
The story sees you as the sole survivor of a plane crash waking up in an unfamiliar land, you soon learn that this land is called Escario, the city of swords. The locals are quick to dub you as the chosen one, and you are tasked with defending the town.
Whereas past Experience developed games have had more of a comedy feel to them, Stranger of Sword City has more of a serious and adult feel to it, adopting more hardcore RPG elements such as perma-death.
Release Date – April TBC NA & EU
Space Overlords sees you playing as one of four different characters with a score to settle. Your mission will see you set off on a mission of retaliation against the evil Kesedihan, liberate planets that she has dominated and set her on a journey of annihilation.
The game will initially feature seven galaxies in a single player mode, with you playing either the main gameplay, co-operative or gameplay loop on the eight planets in each galaxy. The multiplayer aspect of the game will see you facing off against other players in four modes.
Other features you can expect to see in Space Overlords include;
- Create planets using the built in level editor
- Share new planets and then attack other players’ planets for action packed gameplay
- Pick-up-and-play free rampage – destroy every building and inhabitant of a planet before time runs out
- Enjoy playing as a different race with a choice of up to six Overlords
- PVP Multiplayer mode (up to four players)
- Upgrade your character with items and power ups adds to pace of the game
- Local and Multiplayer modes
- A whole host of different levels including variable game levels with switchable core mechanic
- Four playable characters
So there we have the key titles that are set to release for the PlayStation Vita this April!
If you prefer your new release info in a video format, then check out Kyle’s preview video below and be sure to subscribe to The Vita Lounge’s YouTube channel for more awesome Vita videos!
Let us know which of the above titles (if any) you will be picking up in the comments below!